On to St. Louis

After leaving the Atlanta area (see previous post), we headed to the STL area for some much needed time with family. When we come back to Missouri, we always enjoy seeing family.

We stayed a month in STL, and visited with my mom, dad, and younger sister and her husband. It’s always a wonderful time.

HOWEVER, the month was filled with rain, rain, and more rain! I have never experienced SO much rain in three weeks.

We were beginning to get concerned because we knew the RV park we were staying in was prone to flooding during prolonged heavy rains. We also knew that the Mississippi River and the Meramec River were both already close to or at flood stage because of the spring thaws up north and earlier rains.

We carefully watched weather reports and checked the flood stages/levels several times a day. Our park manager kept in touch with everyone about the possibility of having to move out of the park.

On Wednesday, May 1st, the park manager came by and told us we would probably have water in the park by late Friday or sometime Saturday. The “Warning: Flooding Possible” signs went up that evening.

We hurriedly looked for another RV park in order to move our motor coach. There really are not a lot of RV parks in the STL area, so if you are looking for a profitable investment and own land in this area, you might want to consider putting in an RV park.

Anyway, we did find a KOA park west of STL in Eureka, MO. They had an available spot for us for the next week. Since this park was about a thirty minute drive to my sister’s and parents’ houses, we decided to pack a bag and just stay at my parents’ house.

It was quite an experience trying to get everything packed up and ready to move the RV. It was raining hard and there was several inches of standing water around the coach (the park hadn’t flooded yet; our site just had some low spots where water would collect).

Also, there is another RV park right next to the one we stay at that was also having to evacuate campers and stored RVs (they always flood first). Nearby are two huge shopping areas (Gravois Bluffs area) with very large parking lots. Apparently the RV parks have an agreement with these places because a lot of the RVs and trailers moved to the outer edges of the parking lots (furthest away from the businesses).

We moved our RV on Friday to the KOA park in Eureka, and then went to my parents’ house for the last week of our visit. It was interesting to watch more and more campers leave those two parks and the waters slowly rise.

I have a new appreciation now for flood warnings and a stronger compassion for victims of flooding. I can’t even imagine the fear and devastation of a flash flood!It’s one thing to just hear about flooding on the news; it’s an entirely different thing to actually experience it by having to “move” to get out of the way of the rising water!

Unfortunately I didn’t think, much less have the time, to take any pictures of the flooding. My hope and prayer for each of you is that you NEVER experience any kind of flooding!

We spent the week at my parents’ house. We drove out to Eureka and checked on the RV almost daily. We had a wonderful visit, and then, all too soon, it was time to move on.

So, for now ….. “On the Road Again!”